About our organization...
Sherwood Anderson Literary Center (the online home of author Sherwood Anderson) is a non-profit literary center and Anderson museum. Our mission is to celebrate the written word for the education and entertainment of writers and readers by continuing the legacy of Sherwood Anderson. Our programs include the Sherwood Anderson Ohio Literary Award the only such recognition of Ohio authors in the country; an online publishing house; author readings; writing workshops for adults and a traveling museum of Anderson memorabilia.
Sherwood Anderson Literary Center opened its doors to the public in 1997 -- online and in person -- after extensive research on Anderson's place in the local history of Elyria, Ohio, and his historical house there, where Anderson lived with his family while he first began writing and publishing his work. Since then, we have become a resource for readers, writers, and Anderson enthusiasts of all ages. For those of you who live in the Elyria area, visit the Lorain County Historical Society's Sherwood Anderson page to find out how to become involved.
Anderson's first published work of fiction,
“The Rabbit Pen,” was published in Harper's Bazar in July 1914, when Anderson lived in Elyria.
Anderson's First Published Work Written in Elyria
Sherwood Anderson's Home in Elyria, Ohio
The Anderson family lived in Elyria from 1902 to 1914 on a side street near the city center. A private residence today, the home provided Anderson a quiet place to write (the attic).
An Account of Anderson's Elyria Neighborhood
Read "Anderson's Elyria Home" by Will Schuck, a short story that describes the world today around the neighborhood where Sherwood began writing.
Sherwood Anderson and the Elyria Country Club
Sherwood Anderson, an avid golfer, was also a founding member of the Elyria Country Club, which is still in operation today. It was in April 1908 that he was among the men “elected to family memberships.”